Sunday, November 4, 2012

I AM A SURVIVOR OF RAPE & HERE'S WHY I AM TELLING MY STORY.


We have heard a lot of ignorant and ridiculous statements made by MALE politicians concerning RAPE. Seeing this (above), I am reminded of all of the stupidity in the world, and I cannot imagine why any female or male voter would put faith in any politician who would make such claims, and support laws that would dictate what another HUMAN BEING can or cannot do with her body, especially after being violated in such a horrible and private way.

Let me spell it out for you ... RAPE is RAPE. Anyone, with half a brain, can tell you that. 

The reality that this country may elect a man who has ridiculous beliefs about rape and abortion, scares me, so I am speaking to the those who cannot see these men for what they are. Mitt Romney and the others on the list above do not have the abilities to be compassionate and rational leaders. True colors have been presented, and we can see that these men do not care about the citizens of this country, but only care about pleasing those with the same narrow minded views. 

I am not going to get into the whole abortion debate, but I will say that, where rape is concerned, I have something to say.

I have been open about many things in my life, but I have never fully told my story to anyone, nor could I. My story didn't result in a pregnancy, because that is not possible, but if these men had experienced "LEGITIMATE RAPE," which all RAPE is, like I did, they wouldn't be coming up with such ridiculous statements, and telling women what they cannot do with their bodies and lives. They would understand the violation of rape on all levels.  

I was 18 years old, and I had been in college for two weeks, when I walked alone one night from one side of campus to the other. I was so excited to be in Seattle, and to be attending the one university that I had wanted to attend since I was in 4th grade.

Let me say that I am from a small town, and, in my mind, certain things didn't happen to guys. I had specific ideas about gender roles, and that pertained to rape as well. 

That night I was walking home after a fun evening visiting the new friends that I had made. I was so happy. I remember being excited about getting back to Lander Hall to see my other new friends on the 6th floor. I remember wanting to tell Lisa, Mary, Emily and other freshmen friends about eating on the north side of campus, and how we should go up there some time. I remember where I was, the misty air of Seattle, how dark the path was, and the sounds of the city around the University District. It was so different from Goldendale, Washington. 

I remember the feeling of shock when a man came out of no where and put his arm around me. He held on so tight, and he smelled of alcohol. I could tell that he was not a student, so I tried to laugh off the drunk without escalating the situation. I tried to get out from his grip, but before I could, I was hit from the right side by another man. 

He knocked me off my feet and I hit the ground hard. I was face down on the grass and I remember trying to fight my way out from under them. I remember trying to hit at them, but I was held down. It was all happening so fast. I remember the grass was wet and cold, and I remember one of the men kept sputtering, "Shut up. Shut up. Shut up." Then the other man, who had hit me, said the words that I can still hear, "Fuckin' shut up, or I'll bash your fuckin' head." I still tried to move, but I couldn't. I am not going to get into more detail, because it really is too much to retell, but many more things were said and done as time went on for what seemed like an hour. I know it was not that long, but at one point I shut down. I had failed to be a man and protect myself, which is what I told myself later. 

I remember I thought about my parents, because I wanted them with me, because that meant I was safe. Later I felt so silly to think that, but it was the place I went to, because that is what I knew as safety. I can still remember the fear, the pain, the embarrassment, and the confusion. Why was it happening? Where they going to kill me?

Before it was over, I looked to my left, and there was a woman there. I remember noticing that she was not paying attention, and wasn't quite right. After they left me, she walked away with them. It wasn't until later that I thought, "How could a woman stand there and let that happen to me?" She was most likely drunk or on drugs, but I still found it confusing. I realized that humans can be cruel, no matter if they are male or female.

I remember laying there, and it didn't feel real. They left me there as they laughed and stumbled over to her. They walked away, but I didn't try to see which way they went. It was over, and that was all that mattered. I was alone.

I remember having to think about what I needed to do next. I remember saying to myself, "Get up." I remember thinking through what I had to do, and that I needed to get home. As I pulled myself together, I noticed that 30 feet away there was one of those blue lights that were for emergencies. A very sick joke.

I walked home, and for 2 years I didn't say a word. I buried it, because I couldn't face the embarrassment. I put on a smile and forgot. I was "lucky" that there was no permanent physical damage, but I would never be the same 18 year old boy that saw everything new and fresh. Those strangers tainted my future. I was never afraid of something like that happening again, because I didn't feel in the same way. The days that followed were the hardest, but I moved on. I can still remember all that was said and done, so that is why those comments made by politicians, above, make me so angry. 

I understand how a woman who has been raped might find herself looking into a mirror, and not seeing the person she remembered. You want to forget, and you want to not feel their touch and their threats, and their dismissal as they walked away. I know how it is to blame yourself, for whatever twisted reason. 

But, I can only empathize with a woman who also finds herself pregnant after such an act. Rape is not part of "God's Plan," and all rape is a violation. It kills part of you, so telling a woman that she can't make a choice about the pregnancy that resulted from the pain and humiliation that only she had to bare, is not for anyone to determine, but her. She is the one who lives with the scares, and the decision. 

So, when you vote, please remember that the President, whomever we elect, is going to lead us, and do we want a man who believes he has the right to tell a woman what to do with her body? Do we want a man who believes that not all people deserve the same Human Rights?

To me the choice is clear. Please think it over before you vote on Tuesday. Look at the big picture, and not just about the issues that pertain to you alone. The man we elect will shape this country and future, and I hope that the future is a place where we feel safe, valued, and moving towards amazing opportunities as a country. 

Think about the young woman who has been raped, and now has to make a choice that is her's and her's alone. Let her have the right to choose and elect the man who will allow her to do what she feels she needs to do.




No comments:

Post a Comment